Monday, August 25, 2008

There's no place like home...

Well, we're back from New York. We arrived on the red eye back from JFK on Friday morning, only for me to be whisked off to a day of preparation for the two TV commercials I'm shooting tomorrow and Wednesday. The flight was great though and enabled me to catch some much needed sleep before a full on day of work.

Truth be told, I'm always a bit grumpy when I'm back from a holiday. It takes me a couple of days to settle back in to 'life' here and the time spent in transition isn't always fun. But at least I know it's going to happen and I can prepare for it. Forty eight hours on though, I'm right and ready, delighted to be back in Blighty and locked and loaded for the next few days.

I've come back from New York with a renewed appetite for my film script which has undergone a hibernation period during this busy commercials time. There's nothing like being in the place you're writing about to have it all become real and feed story, character and location ideas into the mix. Once I have a moment I'm going to download them and get back to work on that baby.

Unfortunately, New York has its problems... one being that you tend to walk everywhere (well, on Manhattan, you do) due to the deceptively simple nature of the street layout. Getting from Madison and 41st to Broadway and 29th? Easy, three blocks across and twelve down. Only trouble is... it's bloody miles and it takes a toll on you. So I've come back with a back that's out of kilter and my chiropractor hasn't been able to see me this weekend... and I can't see him until Thursday at the earliest due to work commitments. So I'm waddling around like a pregnant duck until I can get 're-aligned'.

Once I do I'm going to get back into training. It's impossible for me to keep in shape if I'm not training. So, even if I'm not at Ironman level, I'll need to have some sort of regime to keep me in shape through the winter as I'm commited to arriving at IM training in the New Year in better shape than I did this.

I'm thinking of having a late season marathon to aim for as well as starting up with the mountain biking. That, combined with the pool swimming should keep me honest.

More photos from New York this week. I hope you like...

I know the film quote has been burning a hole in your minds for two weeks now. To be honest, I thought some of you movie buffs would have got this:

"It must be hard living your life off a couple of scraps of paper. You mix your laundry list with your grocery list you'll end up eating your underwear for breakfast"

The quote comes from MEMENTO and was spoken to Leonard (Guy Pearce) by Natalie (Carrie-Anne Moss). If you haven't seen Memento, do yourselves a favour. Buy some beer on a friday night and sit down and enjoy. It'll make your head hurt though, so have the nurofen handy.



How about this week's offering. Big clue... it's a New York story...
"Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, no job is too big, no fee is too big!"



So, my Blogettes... onwards and upwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your pics could be my pics - I went to all those places and took all those pictures EXCEPT Coney Island. I planned to go out there on the subway but everyone told me it wasn't worth it.....